Academy Archives and Special Collections
The Phillips Academy Archives are located on the second floor of the old wing of the OWH Library. When the library opened in 1929, some of the early school records were transferred to the OWHL. The Archives were established by John Kemper, the eleventh headmaster, to organize and protect these school records, and to centralize departmental records and curricular materials. Kemper appointed Professor Allis as the original Archivist.
In addition to using collections for instruction, the primary mission of the Phillips Academy Archives is to appraise, collect, organize, preserve and provide access to records documenting the history of Phillips Academy. Archives and Special Collections also holds rare books and other historical materials that support the curriculum.
Members of the Phillips Academy community and outside researchers may use physical materials in the Archive by appointment with the Archivist, Paige Roberts.