About Summer Session
Welcome to Summer at Andover!
Within this site you will find much of what you will need to know about Andover in the summer: the programs, the people, and the place. It is designed to give you a sense of what life is like on Andover Hill. If you decide to apply and are accepted, then you will come to understand what a program like this has to offer.
Many of our participants tell us that a summer of intense study coupled with beautiful surroundings, inspiring trips off campus, and the inevitable friendships that form over the course of five weeks were pivotal in their lives as students. Seeing the world from different perspectives and being challenged by teachers who care deeply about teaching the whole student are the hallmarks of this program, which is entering its 75th season.
What's most important, though, is that you and your family make the right choice about applying to a program that fits your needs. Take some time to look at Andover's selection of courses, activities, and residential life expectations. Ask others who have attended Andover Summer Session what their experience has been. Read the reflections of participants from last summer. Reflect on your own desired experience - what do you hope to get out of your summer? I sincerely hope that you find what you learn about our program to be compelling. We know that much of what is expected of you can seem very challenging. If you are up to the challenge, we invite you to apply.
Andover is a dynamic place to be in the summer, and the faculty and I are already looking forward to another great experience in 2017!
Beth Friedman, Director of Outreach & Summer Session
What's New in 2017?
- Phillips Academy celebrates 75 years of providing summer academic opportunities for students: happy birthday, Summer Session!
- More hybrid and online course options - including Serving Up Science, Experimental Documentary, and a fully online Geometry course.
- More Upper School course options - including Personal Finance, Writing the College Essay, Law and Society, and Environmental Science
- Option to take The Princeton Review ACT Preparation course (in addition to SAT and SSAT options)
- Extra start-of-summer teambuilding, competitions, and opportunities to get to know students both in and out of your dorm
- Monday afternoon student clubs - including a Cooking club, Makerspace club, Bad Movie club, Board Game club, and many more!
- Additional Afternoon Activities options - including Spinning, Dance, Yoga, and Stickball (a fun summer substitute for baseball).
- Cultural Sharing presentation for Summer Session students - an opportunity for those who are interested to gather together with students from a common home country, state, or region to showcase their shared music, culture, and heritage.