Public and community service is integral to the educational mission of Phillips Academy. In accordance with the school's motto, non sibi (not for self), the Phillips Academy Community Service Program strives to:
- promote and provide structured opportunities for students, staff and faculty to engage in public service;
- foster collaborative relationships with individuals, organizations and schools that address problems and build upon assets of local and global communities;
- connect academic learning to community problem solving through the development of service-learning courses across disciplines;
- inspire responsibility and personal growth by supporting volunteers, encouraging student initiatives and providing a comprehensive Leadership education project; and
- motivate students to consider and act upon issues of social justice and civic responsibility and thus foster a commitment to a lifetime of effective participation in public life.
-written by the 1997-98 student coordinators
and faculty advisory board.