A record-breaking year in fundraising
August 26, 2016
Contributions to Andover support campus, faculty, and financial aid.
Phillips Academy recently capped a record-breaking year in fundraising, attracting $54.2 million in new gifts and pledges between July 1, 2015 and June 30, 2016. Alumni, parents and the extended Phillips Academy community contributed $37.4 million in cash, including a record $12 million for the Andover Fund, a two percent increase over last year.
Highlights from the year also included:
- A historic milestone achieved by the Class of 1956, which celebrated its 60th Reunion by bringing total lifetime giving from the class to over $100 million
- Remarkable leadership by the 50th Reunion Class of 1966 (Phillips: 52 percent participation, Abbot: 57 percent participation) and critical support of health and wellness programming with gifts totaling over $150,000 for this important priority
- A strong showing from the 25th Reunion Class of 1991 (57 percent participation)
- 73 percent participation from the 70th Reunion Class of 1946
- 91 percent participation in the Class of 2016’s senior class gift
“I’m thrilled that over 9,000 members of our community chose to support Andover,” said Head of School John Palfrey. “Philanthropy touches virtually every aspect of the student experience and makes a tremendous difference in the daily life of the school, including need-blind admission, student wellness, and our incredible faculty, administrators, and staff.”
For the Andover Fund, 7,424 alumni gave $8.8 million and 1,565 parents and grandparents gave $2.8 million, including support from 768 current families.
In addition, 11.9 percent of Andover Fund gifts supported financial aid, with $1.4 million allocated to scholarships. As a result of its need-blind admission initiative, Andover relies on this annual support as well as income from endowed gifts to award more than $20 million in financial aid each year. Nearly half of the student body relies on this comprehensive support.
More detailed information on individual class results can be found at www.andover.edu/classresults.