Alumni Award of Distinction
On behalf of the Alumni Council, we are pleased and excited to inform you of the establishment of the Andover Alumni Award of Distinction presented by the Alumni Council.
The first group of recipients, below, will be recognized at a dinner on Nov. 9, 2012 in the Smith Center.
1. President George H. W. Bush '42
2. Wendy Ewald '69
3. William Knowles '35
4. Stacy Schiff '78
5. Peter Sellars '75
Statement of Purpose
To recognize and honor alumni/ae of Phillips Academy or Abbot Academy who have served with distinction in their fields of endeavor. The recipients’ accomplishments and contributions shall have embodied the values of the Andover/Abbot community and shall have had a significant positive impact on their communities, society, or the world. Awards will be presented by the Alumni Council upon the recommendation of the alumni/ae.
- The award shall be given annually to one or more living alumni/ae who have served with distinction and exhibited leadership in arts, sciences, letters, humanities, or another significant field of endeavor following their time at Phillips Academy or Abbot Academy.
- For purposes of this award, the term “alumni/ae” includes individuals who attended Phillips Academy or Abbot Academy, even if they did not receive a diploma from either institution. An individual will become eligible for this award five years after the graduation of his/her class from either institution.
- Nominations should reflect the diversity of the alumni/ae of Phillips Academy and Abbot Academy and their many fields of endeavor, avenues of achievement, or methods of expression.
- Volunteer service or financial contributions to Phillips Academy or Abbot Academy shall not be a factor in the Committee’s consideration of a candidate’s qualifications.
- Current employees of Phillips Academy and alumni/ae currently serving on Phillips Academy’s Board of Trustees, the Executive Committee of Alumni Council, or the Committee are not eligible for consideration.
- Candidates may be considered during multiple award cycles. Once a candidate is nominated, his or her nomination will remain on file in the Office of Alumni Affairs for periodic review and updates.
Complete a nomination form
During each award cycle, at least one award shall be given, and multiple awards may be given. Awards may be given to individuals in multiple disciplines during each award cycle. The awards will be presented at an event to which the students, alumni/ae, faculty, staff, parents, and other members of the Andover community will be invited. There shall be a programmatic piece involving a visit to campus by each recipient (e.g., interaction with students and faculty, a senior dinner in the spring with the Trustees, or other appropriate activity).