How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in Phillips Academy.
Please note that we are no longer accepting applications for the 2015-2016 school year.
If you are interested in receiving information about Phillips Academy, please click on the Request Catalog link below. Please do not hesitate to call us at 978-749-4050 with any questions.
- Step 1: Complete the Request Information Form
All prospective students who wish to receive an admission catalog, schedule an interview, receive invitations to events in their home area, and apply to Phillips Academy must submit this form. Click here to complete this form.
- Step 2: Register to Take the Required Standardized Test
As part of the application process, students must complete the appropriate required standardized test during the current academic year and prior to the stated application deadline (the June test will not be accepted). We will accept the February test for those applicants who have submitted all other application materials by February 1.
For applicants to grades 9, 10, and 11:
The SSAT exam is preferred, though you may take the ISEE in place of the SSAT. Applicants to the 11th grade also have the option of taking the PSAT or SAT. For more information on testing dates and locations, visit www.ssat.org, www.erbtest.org, and www.collegeboard.org.
For applicants to grade 12 or postgraduate candidates:
Applicants must submit the PSAT, SAT or ACT test. For more information about these tests, please visit www.collegeboard.org.
Whenever possible, international students for whom English is not the primary language also should submit the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). For more information, please visit www.ets.org/toefl.
School Testing Codes:
Please use the following codes when registering for a test in order to have the test results sent directly to Phillips Academy.
- Step 3: Schedule Your Admission Interview
An interview is a required part of the application process. Please click here to schedule an interview online. On-campus interviews must be completed by January 25th. Off-campus interviews with Alumni Admission Representatives should be completed by February 1st.
- Step 4: Complete the Candidate Profile
This is the first step in the formal application process to Phillips Academy. The Candidate Profile is accepted by several peer schools and is designed to ease the application process for students and their families. Prospective students are encouraged to submit this form well in advance of the stated application deadline. To access your Candidate Profile, please click here.
If you experience technical difficulty while completing the Candidate Profile, please contact us.
- Step 5: Submit the Andover Application
A complete application consists of:
- The Candidate Profile (Submit Online)
This must be submitted with the appropriate application fee. For students living in the United States, the application fee is $40. The fee for students who live outside the United States is $70. Application fee waivers are available. Please contact the admission office for further details.
- Short answers and essay (Submit Online)
- Copy of a recent writing assignment, corrected and graded by a teacher. (Scan and submit online when prompted. PDF documents should be less than 1MB for compatability with online submission.)
- The Parent Statement (Submit Online)
- School Report with official transcript (Submit Online)
- Current English Teacher Recommendation (Submit Online)
- Current Math Teacher Recommendation (Submit Online)
- Personal Recommendation (Submit Online)
- Official copy of standardized test results
- Admission interview
- For students applying for financial assistance, a Financial Aid Application is due by February 1st. Click here for more information.